One part of the volunteers’ job will be to assist the staff in charge of the school maintenance with routine tasks such as cleaning grounds, emptying trash, cleaning and preparing the school for students, sweeping and blowing walk paths, pruning and watering plants, and sometimes painting spaces if needed and allowed as well as gardening in general.
Apart from that, the volunteers can involve themselves in many other activities as they will be in contact with local people and will be able to get to know Moroccan habits and way of life. There will be a camp leader in charge of the general organization and responsibility of the work camp; this person will have the liberty to prepare/propose outings to the participants, such as the visit of any place of interest in the surrounding area or cultural/sportive activities. Of course the volunteers can also take all kind of initiative on their spare-time and propose activities to the group.
Type of work
• Five days of work per week and two days off, not necessarily on week ends (depends on the work schedule.)
• 4 hours of work per day in the morning or in the afternoon.
• Cleaning the medieval fortified necropolis as a part of its maintenance.
• Gardening activities (cutting leaves of trees, watering, etc.)
(Basic tools activities mentioned above will be provided)
• Cooking in teams with other volunteers, both national and international.
• The association will organize some extra activities such as outings with local kids in which the volunteers can take part.
The schools are located 10 to 20 minutes away (walking distance) from the apartment where the volunteers will live. If the weather conditions are not appropriate or volunteers require it, we can take them there by car (we will take responsibility of transportation costs).
The volunteers will live in an apartment in Rabat city center. They will share rooms and sleep on mats. Even though it will be summer, we recommend volunteers bring a sleeping bag. The apartment is big enough to host the group. According to the preferences of the group, it is possible to separate girls and boys in different rooms. There is a big terrace we can use to relax, have lunch and dinner outside, enjoy the sun, etc. It has all the kitchen facilities (except microwaves), television, WiFi, 2 computers, cleaning tools, etc.
We will cook 3 meals per day and will arrange shifts. Some days a group of volunteers will cook and the others will clean and vice versa. Mutual help for everyday common tasks is important.
International volunteers can also ask the national ones to show them the Hammam (public baths). Actually, you should try it once at least; it is indeed a very relaxing and enjoyable experience and has many virtues for the skin.
You will learn a lot of skills that will help you in your future.
Darija (Moroccan arabic) is the local language.
• No previous working experience required.
• Enthusiastic, positive and respectful people needed.
• Willingness to develop ties with other nationalities and learn new things, of course we encourage everyone to follow the pace they feel comfortable with.
CSM IMM 13 APP 06 rue elmowahidine Quartier Hassan.
• If you choose to fly directly into Rabat Airport, we can arrange someone to pick you up for 150 dirhams, otherwise the meeting point will be Rabat Ville Train Station.
• To get to the Rabat Ville Train Station from the airport you can take the bus right outside the gate for 20 dirhams and it will leave you in front of the train station. With a taxi, it should cost you about 100 dirhams (price negotiable).
• If you arrive in any other airport of the country, you will be able to reach Rabat by train. Check the timetable and connections on www.oncf.ma
Once you have your flight details please pass them by e-mail to your interlocutor so you can arrange with him or her the meeting point.
The info sheet will be send to you by e-mail 3 weeks prior departure.